CONTACT US (USE form below)
*IN-Person SERVICE Now Available*
HOUSING COUNSELING SERVICES
HUD-CERTIFIED COUNSELING AGENCY THAT PROVIDES COMPREHENSIVE HOUSING COUNSELING FOR YOUR NEEDS
An experienced HUD-certified staff provides a wide range of services to residents of Ward 7 and neighboring communities. Residents can learn the steps required to purchase homes and are given opportunities to participate in many of the District’s programs that promote home ownership.
Monthly workshops are provided including:
- Inclusionary Zone (IZ) certification
- Homebuyer’s Club, Foreclosure Prevention
- Credit Counseling
- IDA Plans
- Income Certifications
DC HOme PURCHASE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (HPAP) OrIENTATION
DC’s Home Purchase Assistance Program (HPAP) provides up to $84,000 in down payment and closing cost assistances for eligible, first-time homebuyers in DC. To learn more about HPAP, please attend a HPAP virtual orientation; the registration links are below:
DC HOme PURCHASE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (HPAP) 8-Hour Pre-Purchase Class
D.C. Home Purchase Assistance Program (HPAP). This mandatory 8-hour workshop is the first step in order to obtain downpayment assistance through the HPAP Program.
First Time Homebuyer Education workshop
An informative homebuyer education workshop. This short class is designed to take the mystery and fear out of the home purchase process and will enlighten potential buyers on how realistic it can be to become a homeowner. This is Home Buying 101 for those who are new to the process, so ask as many questions as necessary!
Foreclosure Prevention Workshop
Foreclosure Prevention Workshop for homeowners who are struggling to make their mortgage payments or are in foreclosure. This workshop is required to schedule an individual counseling session with our HUD certified counselors who will help you apply for many of the programs available to you.
We’ll review the forms you need to complete and the information you need to provide in order to have a productive counseling session. We also will explain how you can get organized to work directly with your mortgage lender/servicer, and review the typical foreclosure prevention options, including Covid-19 forbearance options, currently available.
Rental Counseling & Eviction Prevention
Renters will gain knowledge of programs and services to assist with their search for affordable housing units and eviction prevention. Click on link below to register.
2nd Tues of the Month
INCLUSIONARY ZONING (IZ)
- Your household must meet the income requirements. Households that make 50%, 60%, or 80% of the Median Family Income (MFI) may be eligible. CLICK HERE to view current incomes, rents and prices.
- Your housing costs for an IZ home may not be more than half (50%) of your income (before taxes).
- You cannot be enrolled in a full-time college or university program.
- You must live in the IZ home as your primary residence.
- You (or someone who will live with you) may not own other residential property at the time of lease or purchase.
Post-Purchase Webinar: Supporting Your rights and responsibilities as a homeowner
Once you have purchased a home, our post-purchase/non-delinquency education and counseling can help you navigate life as a homeowner. Common issues like home maintenance and financial management are covered in this HUD-approved housing counseling and education service. Come talk to our counselors for help with, among other topics:
- Avoiding predatory lending and other attractive traps of available credit as a homeowner
- Understanding common credit problems that could lead to delinquency and foreclosure
- Creating a realistic budget to lay a solid financial foundation;
- Understanding property taxes and insurance; and
- Protecting and maintaining your home.
SINGLE RESIDENT OCCUPANCY (SRO)
SUPPORTIVE & Transitional Housing
A 60-bed Single Resident Occupancy (SRO) Transitional Facility is owned and operated by MHCDO. Located in Ward 7, the facility was designed for individuals who were transitioning through a crisis (such as a job loss) or returning to the community from prison. A case manager is assigned to each resident and supportive services including credit counseling, money management and workforce development skills are provided.
Continuum of care for people who are: homeless, at risk of becoming homeless, working to become self-sufficient, in need of additional support not ordinarily accessible through conventional, market-rate housing.
Upcoming HOuSING Program CALENDAR
Housing events are held virtually. Free to the Public.
Your completed housing program forms should be sent back via email to: .